I have a lot of things written in my spiral notebook I carry around. Some of them are harsh criticisms of my friends, others are harsh criticisms in general. Here's one I wrote 5/18.
[...]
On the topic of my delusions, Health Class is a very good way to see who exactly in this school has been taught properly by their parents on the topics of rape, STD's and sexuality. Too many, I've found, think rape is the fault of the woman, abortion if wholly evil, that you should have the laws in our (secular) country mirror exactly the sentiments of the Christian Bible. They are "Christainists" as a TIMES columnist wrote. They force religion into the gov't, thinking that by doing what the 'bible' says, they are right.
I'm pretty sure Jesus said that "My Kingdom is Not of this World." Why should we try and make our mundane world the heavenly kingdom he advertises? It's not like we'd get props from God for doing so- it's basically idol worship.
The best thing for us to do is to leave the options of gay marriage, Abortion, and all the other highly publicized issues open for the people to use. Not everyone in the world subscribes to Fundamentalist Any Religion, and to try and force that upon them is to break honor with the commandments of the Bible these Christianist Politicians spout at random. Informing is entirely different from Converting, and Informing, my currently non-existent readers, is what Jesus asked his followers to do. Not to go into fertile earth-worship tribes and rape the land for being "heathens".
But I digress, and I know not all Christians are bad, and not all Christians are Christainist. The TIMES columnist, who so aptly put it, said that there are several Roman Catholic people who are personally devout, and publicly liberal.
In Health, I've realized that I am part of the fortunate few who have been educated properly on these issues: "Do what you damn well please, as long as it doesn't hurt me." is the standing motto in my family. Like the Wiccan "Harm None"
Now, at this, anti-choice advocates would say that abortion should be illegal, 'cause the woman having the abortion is harming a fetus. But even the anti-abortion laws have clauses that permit. One is when a woman's life is in danger, or when the child is so severely deformed and handicapped that it would require extensive, expensive medical care that the new mother may not be able to provide.
At that sentiment, if in dire situations, the choice between future child and the living mother falls to the side of the living mother, why can't that be the same for non-dire situations? Some women, while being emotionally capable to handle sex, are not ready to drop everything for children, or are even willing to consider the possibility.
The "If you can't handle Children, You shouldn't have Sex" movement seriously pisses me off. Sex isn't always about reproduction!!! In the right situations, sex is about love and satisfaction, the physical communion with another being.
This is what I told Roper (girl in my class). We started talking about the HPV virus (ackk, redundant, but doesn't flow otherwise!), which causes cervical cancer, and the vaccine for it that scientists are developing. These scientists are recommending that young girls who haven't been sexually active to take it, because that makes sense. You don't get a malaria vaccine after going to Africa! Vaccinations are preventive.
Yet, politicians are iffy about it, because they think that giving it to their daughters would promote the promiscuity of children. Roper thought so as well, and I told her the above bit on vaccinations. And often, it's not their fault! More often that not, husbands give it to their wives, as HPV is asymptomatic for males.
This led to abortion talks and rape as follows:
HPV Vaccine-Stupid politicians-Not woman's fault for disease-Causes infertility otherwise-Some people want kids, others don't-abortion-abortion clauses-Rape-woman's Fault.
I cut Roper off at that. When she said "Sometimes the woman is asking for it, like when she wears short skirts..." I raised my hands, and jokingly told her "Don't ever say that to me again, or around me, 'cause then I'd have to hit you!" She laughed at this, because earlier this week I joked with her about how angry I was when she did the "Day of Speaking Out"- a response to the Gay Protest "Day of Silence".
"Seriously though, it is never the woman's fault, To insinuate that is to say that women are merely sex objects, and that's not cool."
"I didn't mean that!" She said "Sometimes a girl just asks for it."
"Whoooa! No No No! That's not cool, Roper! I know women, fully grown, and friends, who've had that happen to them. Some were dancers, yes, but not that kind of dancer. Even if that was the case, it wasn't their fault! Others were just teenagers who are hanging out with family friends. None of them were asking for it."
"But some put themselves in those types of situations."
"No Roper, you don't 'put' yourself in those situations. It is never ever the victims fault. A woman should be able to go to a party and have a few beers and not have to worry if that cute guy sitting next to them will carry her up the stairs and rape her. It is never ever the victims fault, and they never put themselves in that situation. To say that would mean you think, and I understand you didn't meant it that way, but it would mean you think women are only sexual objects. Seriously Roper, I know women who've been raped, and then never ever deserved it, and they never ever asked to be raped."
I also said it was the assaulter's fault, all the time, and it's something no one ever ever deserves.
Anyway, I informed Roper very thoroughly on these subjects, and I think she actually listened and absorbed it. I said she should really read up on these things before spouting on opinion on it. The only reason I say my opinion is because I have read about it since I was unsure who's fault it was when I was 10. And because of this, I didn't say anything until I got the full story. Of course, I was 10, and it's not like the conversation about rape pops up in school when you're 10! Who talks about that when your 10?
The real issue is that so many of my so-called intelligent peers really don't know what they are talking about, what exactly is going on.
Same thing with Politicians. They are still in that indignant opinion stage of teenager-dom, and no one really knew or cared to inform them of the truth. Now that they are adults, and powerful ones at that, to get through to them is like trying to blow up a 100 ft thick wall with cheap snap-crackers. (Those firecrackers that look like little paper onions that pop with a sharp snap when you throw them on the sidewalk.)
We need more liberal parents and politicians.
Speaking of which, there's this minority party leader in some Greek island who's promoting for a "Utopian" gov't there. Unfortunately, he brought in the free love card too quickly. So conservatives who originally supported him didn't vote for him. That's horrid, because his ideas were actually pretty solid.
Anyway, I'm glad my parents accidentally raised me to be a liberal feminist, otherwise I'd be as ignorant as my peers.
Or would I? I'm not sure, you never really know, do you?
But how I turned out now is very, very satisfactory.
------------------------
After the "Liberal Parents and Politicians" bit, I was originally going to say "And that's why I want to take over the world" but I went off onto a separate tangent.
I have a male friend who has a "disappointed in the World Jar" currently there is $400 in the jar, and we figure in a few months he'd have enough money to buy a bomb that can destroy the world, or buy the world, instead of conquering it.
I'm advocating the second one, but he says he doesn't know, since he'd probably only use the money when he's gone mad from the idiocy of the world.
This kind of conversation happens between me and my friend quite often. At least, my very close and intelligent ones. The only difference between me and them is that I'm more verbal about politics than them. And they are slightly more eccentric than me. (I used to think that was never possible)
I am convinced that with the state international relations is in, the only thing that can fix it is a global dicator reign.
And I want to be the one to head it.
What can I say, I love power.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Go you! Well done on setting Roper straight, I hope she listened to what you had to say and has started thinking more logically about the issues surrounding rape. Sounds like a lot of young people have been very much misinformed by their parents and conservative politicians, so anything you do to counteract their lies is wonderful. On the plus side, at least the topic of rape came up in your classes - in the UK we were told nothing, and the only info we were given on STDs was their names. And they wonder why we have the highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe *sigh* Keep posting!
ReplyDelete