Thursday, May 25, 2006

Why I have a severe dislike of the rap culture.

I admit it! I don't like the rap/hip hop culture. I really really don't like it. But, after having friends who are racist and watching an episode of Boondocks about a black guy who vehemently hates his own race, I wonder what makes me different from their bigotry.

I'm not saying I'm not prejudice. I am. I'm the last to admit it, but when it comes down to it, I am prejudice against people who look a certain way.

After accepting that, I decided to dismantle why I "hate" the rap culture, and by proxy, the people involved in it.

The first reason was very simple, and the very first reason I didn't like it: I couldn't sing or dance to it, or find any recognizable beat.

But then, I found that I had other reasons:
  • The romanticizing of the gangsta culture isn't smart: drugs + guns = a lot of stupid youths who go and get themselves killed
  • This sounds hypocritical, but I don't like the attitude. I am writing it under "They are ignorant and don't know that their hostility towards "That smart white chick" and calling my lab partners racist (because we don't work with them- they are rowdy and don't do work) isn't going to get them respect.
  • The negative rowdiness. Don't like people causing fights. Starting mosh pits, playful sparring, goofing off is nice. Don't like instigating-which those in the rap culture do.
  • The sex lyrics. The romantic kind in my rock music I can tolerate, it's subtle and sweet: FUCK DAT HO=no!
  • The misogyny in general. I'm A PIMP and Gonna Tap Dat Sweet Ass, and Gonna Get Me Some Ho's...that all sickens me.

And because I hate the music and attitude associated with it, I tend to be wary of people who wear the rap/hip hop uniform. Since the rap culture promotes being dominant over "uppity" and smart people, I often get snapped at for simply making a light-hearted crack at little mistakes that I find amusing. So, I am careful around them and loudly grimace at their stupidity.

I clump it in with the rest of my peers. Most of them are ignorant, but the rap/hip hop cultured ones tend to be loudly and aggressively ignorant.

I don't like them for that.

My friends, however, associate 'rap' with black people- and don't like them because they are loud and aggressive. We all like loud, assertive and witty people, but while I vaguely associate rap with the way people dress, they strongly associate black people with aggressive and loud behavior.

This is usually when I remind them that I have a potpourri background- the only races I don't have are the asianic races. My background includes black people as well. I am loud, and aggressive. They say I'm different because I'm smart.

I know it's because I don't look black- If I looked as black as my genetics say I should (Gypsy, Puerto Rican, Black, Greek), It would take me being aggressively assertive for them to even talk to me.

I wonder why I'm friends with them- and then they make me laugh and giggle and make me feel better.

I currently write it under 'differences of opinion', and I pray they grow out of this as I do for the rap culture teens to grow out of their hostility.

But in reality, neither of the parties will do that.

Damn wishful thinking!!!

1 comment:

  1. Read "Code of the Streets" by Elijah Anderson. It's not a complete explanation for the behavior of everyone ever who empathizes with the rap culture, but it's a REALLY WELL-WRITTEN explanation of some of those people--especially the most noticeable ones.

    It shows how their behavior makes sense in their own heads.

    Come back to me and tell me what you think if you read it! I've got a book blog (though I never get around to updating it) and might actually get around to posting a summary of this one if I get into a discussion about it. It seems discussions are the only things that get me to write full reports.

    ReplyDelete