A while back I was insulted by a forum member of one of my favorite webcomics "The Devil's Panties". I had brought up that I was a feminist, and he pleaded with me not to be like one of "those women" who "hate men" and had supposedly insulted and ragged on him during his college career. He had met me at a comic book convention and we were chatting quite nicely about our favorite subject, Jennie Breeden and Comic Books. So his main defense was to plead with me to remain nice because I was a cool girl who was fun to hang around-
Needless to say a flamewar unraveled and it was established that he did insult me because I identified with being a feminist, and then he quickly went out of his way to convince me not to be. We still chat, but feminism is a "hands off" topic, because I am very good at inadvertantly starting flamewars, and feminist debates don't belong in a comic forum unless it has something to do with the plot- and it doesn't.
I have recently had to concede to him that most radical feminists are as nasty as he claims them to be.
I was over at BB's comments, minding my beeswax, pointing outhow this this and this was indeed rape and supporting other feminists against the anti-feminist trolls. Conforming quite nicely, you know?
Well, one poster claimed that it was impossible for a young boy to be rape by a woman, and if he claims to be, he is most certainly lying.
Remember Friend? How I told his story on several occaisions as an example of the demented control, abuse and power that sex can have over people, and that jazz? I told them about Friend, and Girlfriend.
And BB told me that my story sounded like Urban Legend, and that she's heard that story before, almost word for word.
I wasn't lying. I don't lie about these things. One of my other feminist friends (who I have met face-to-face!!) reads this blog, and he knows I am not one to lie about rape and mental disease and assualt and other horrors that I and my friends have to deal with day in and day out. I DON'T LIE ABOUT THESE THINGS.
So I tried to tell BB that I wasn't lying, and I wasn't telling her to spend just as much time on Male Rape as Female Rape- female rape happens much more often. I just want the male victims to be beleived, you know? That's the whole reason why Friend is angsting over the law, because it doesn't support female-against-male rape, and why he has only told me and Girlfriend. No one will beleive him.
And then this other poster thanked BB for the heads up on the "Urban Legend thing" that "She almost had me going there."
Okay, thanks for your support older feminists. Thanks for encouraging a young woman to go down this harrowing path filled with trolls and threats and verbal abuse. I was encouraged to continue this blog by several big-time feminist bloggers, now, I doubt any of them read it. I doubt this will ever get to BB or her commenters who's comments made me realize why my forum-friends encouraged me to never be a feminist in the first place.
This is the world. There are haters on both sides. Where on earth can a lover go?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Where on earth can a lover go?
ReplyDeleteThere's not much conversation at my place, but I haven't publicized the blog much because I still haven't gotten my imported-from-Wordpress-by-hand template right or come up with a clever name for the place, but my "social issues" (mostly feminism lately) blog is http://kitkatscritique.blogspot.com/
I've got a 2nd blog full of book reports on nonfiction books, but I haven't really made the comments I wanted to get around to making on books, so I don't publicize it, either.
Lovers can also go to Persephone's Box and Real Men Are Not.
Lovers should also take IMPACT/Model Mugging/padded assailant women's self defense training. Boy oh boy, will you see wonderful examples of love going on among strangers of both sexes (you have both a male & a female instructor--actually, maybe 2 male muggers later on--and female classmates).