All the goofy, sweet cards you can give to your mom, don't seem to apply to your father. My dad, when I was little, was a kick-ass dad. He played games with me and my sister, taught us how to make straw-wrapper missles and turn your straw in a triangle. All the rude things that little kids do in restaurants, my father taught yours truely.
He took us Mini-Golfing, killed us all in board games like Monopoly and Risk (and after 10 years, we finally had the sense to ban him from Monopoly, and Risk just takes too long to ban him from that) He let us put kiddie jewelry on him from Pretty Pretty Princess (I have a picture of him in those green earrings SOMEWHERE!) and played "Camping" and "Monster" with us.
My dad was a cool dad.
Now, being a teenager, we don't talk at all, accept whenever he finds me up reeeeeeeeally late at night when he comes home from a Gig, watching CowBoy Bebop (did I mention he got me The Best of Cowboy Bebop? He did!) we talk about the Jazz in the background, and we laugh at the lame jokes. We watch Simpsons together when we can, and laugh at the stupid stuff mom hates. We don't play silly pretend games, and I'm not too fond of Uno and Yahtzee, the games my sister and Mom want to play during 'family fun night' (I play the obligatory game, and then promptly high-tail it outta there).
I don't get to share much with my dad at all anymore. I haven't played Mini Golf with him since I was ten.
He doesn't deserve these money cards. He deserves:
"Love you dad, and thanks for all those stupid games you played with us. It's amazing I didn't get a scar when I hit my head on the window sill after the jumping-off-the-breakfront-and-on-your-bed fiasco. I hope you're just as cool for my kids too. -LBS"
That's what he deserves, not some lame ass crack about retirement homes being expensive and that stuff.
Gah!

This is quite honestly the loveliest blog entry I've read about Father's Day all week. I read from your profile that you're only 15 years old; I'd just like to give a nod to the fact that your entries are consistently articulate, insightful and interesting reading. Keep it up :)
ReplyDelete