Sunday, November 8, 2009

Why Twilight is Creepy

Twilight was a huge disapointment for me. I'm an avid fantasy nerd and I was intrigued when it first came out. Vampires? Werewolves? SIGN ME UP!

However, I then learned the authoress was a Mormon. My interest waned. I've got mormonism pretty much on the same shelf as scientology as far as "legitimate religion" goes. As in, they are not. And they both really fuck up their members mentally, so I'm just not for fiscally supporting any scientologist or mormon by buying their work.

But then I kept hearing all this stuff about how romantic it was, or conversely, how creepy it is.

I have since read all of my sister's copies of the books.

Here is my list why Twilight Is Creepy.

  1. Edward is a hundred years older than Bella. I don't care if he's stopped aging at 17, he is one hundred years older than a high schooler, and they are romantically engaged. That IS pedophilia in my book.
  2. Edward is a stalker. He IS. He WATCHED HER SLEEP before they started dating.
  3. Bella was not freaked out by this at all. In fact, she encouraged it.
  4. Not for one instant Bella had a moment of "Oh, yea, he's a predator, and I am prey." She has no survival instinct.
  5. Bella has no interests or activities outside of doing housework for her father, or trying to get Edward to kiss her.
  6. When a boy takes off "for your own good", you are allowed to be mopey for a MONTH. Then you rebound. Bella was mopey for almost a YEAR. This is ridiculous and unacceptable.
  7. Bella's baby was killing her, and she didn't want to get rid of it. This is a terrible and ridiculous thing.
  8. "Imprinting". Not only did Stephanie Meyer completely CHANGED the word - it's what baby animals do to their mothers to identify them as their mothers. A baby bird who has already imprinted on a parent would die of heartbreak if the mother died or had to leave the baby - she turned it into something COMPLETELY DISGUSTING. She turned the only reasonable character in the book into another PEDOPHILE. He is not being Renesme's "big brother", what he is doing is called grooming. This is a thing pedophiles do to children on the internet to mold them into their little sex dolls. Okay, so we see no EVIDENCE of that kind of grooming, but everyone knows (even Renesme) that one day, Jacob and Baby Cullen are gonna do it. WHAT.
  9. The fact that Esme and that other girly cullen and that one female werewolf are completely defined by the fact that they can't have children. YOU ARE VAMPIRES AND WEREWOLVES. YOU ARE DESTROYERS OF WORLDS/MONSTERS. It would of been acceptable for Mrs. Meyers to touch on this here or there, but this, along with abstinence and obsessive love, was a running theme throughout the series. I am insulted in that fact. I'd be SAD, but I would not want it to DEFINE me. I would hope many women would try and move on from this.
  10. Making Bella a "forbidden fruit" i.e. a sin. This is disturbing to me. I don't feel like I should explain, just the whole idea of sex and weddings and purity and "protection" blech. It's just wrong.
  11. The fact that vampires sparkle. Actually, this was the initial reason why I refused to read the books, after finding out Mrs Meyers is a Mormon. This is just all wrong in my mythos cannon.

No comments:

Post a Comment