I went to an LGBT meeting tuesday night, and we all ended up talking about when and where the stigma and labels came from. I ended up spouting my historical theories, and was there from beginning to end.
I also admitted (in a sense) to my peers that I was bi. I talked about the odd conflicting feelings I got when I was 12 and saw TaTu (i know they aren't lesbians, but still!) kiss in their music videos. And how I went "oh fuck all" and decided to go with the flow. The flow ended up being boyfriends that came by every so often, and a girlfriend who my mom though was just a really good friend of mine (Sleepovers ^^) that lasted almost two years.
I think I confused the professor there (he was gay) because there is a lot of stigma attached to being bisexual. People just say you are being greedy. Honestly, because of this, I put that label aside and put on the one of being "gender blind", because I do fall in love with who I fall in love with. I am attracted by both genders, but by a sheer matter of interested girls not being common, interested boys are, and weither or not they fit my personality requirements (i.e. total opposite in temperment, but still smart and knowledgable on base issues and open to odd ideas) these boys either get shoved off fairly quickly (second boyfriend) or I end up loving them with such a passion, I decide that they are my soulmate (most recent, and current ex-long long LONG story).
I'm tired of the stigma of being bisexual. Now I did play into that stereotype a couple times, once as a gag with some friends, and a second time just for the hell of it. I regret the second time (the first was just plain funny) and I don't want to play into the stereotype again.
I figure I can make some give-room for these things, as a teenager, albeit an intelligent one, I think I'm allowed to play into stereotypes once in a while.
But the stigma still sucks, just so you know.
Anyway, at the end, it ended up being filled with either the open homosexuals, or the really strong allies, and coming out stories ended up being shared. The funniest was when a girl came out to her parents about being straight. They thought she was a lesbian because she read a feminist book "Cunt."
Yes, you heard me right!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment